PhD student position
in computational modeling of RNA 3D structure
Deadline for applications: September 5th 2021. Preferred job starting date: October 1st, 2021
A PhD position is offered within a project entitled “Integrative modeling and structure determination of RNA-protein complexes” carried out as the MAESTRO grant of the Polish National Science Centre (2017/26/A/NZ1/01083).
The grant (and the associated funding) is expected to conclude in 2023. Therefore, we offer this positions for one year, with a possibility of extension maximally to two years, to PhD candidates who are already enrolled in (or eligible to be enrolled to) the 3rd or 4th year of PhD studies in Poland and able to carry out research and complete the PhD project in one year or maximally two years, under the supervision of prof. Bujnicki. All candidates from Poland or abroad who fulfill formal requirements are encouraged to apply.
As a PhD student, you will be involved in research focused on the development and applications of new computational techniques for the modeling and analysis of 3D structures of RNA molecules and RNA-protein complexes. This position is ideal for you have experience in RNA bioinformatics, very good programming skills in C/C++, Python and Java, and if you have already advanced your PhD project related to the structural bioinformatics of RNA to at least 50%.
• PhD fellowship of 4500 PLN (gross remuneration) for 12 months (with a possibility of extension up to 24 months)
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in the MultiSport program
• Work in a multidisciplinary, international team, in a very dynamic organization, with multiple opportunities for professional development, participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
• Administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
• Fulfillment of formal criteria of the competition in particular section 2.1.3: https://bit.ly/3cLloW0
• Enrollment in a Ph.D. study in one of the Polish institutions of science and higher education, in the area of biological sciences, at the 3rd or 4th year of the studies.
• Doctoral project advanced to at least 50% and eligibility to finish the Ph.D. studies and defend the Ph.D. until September 2023 at the latest
• Ability to devote 100% of time to the work on the project
• Eligibility to have prof. Bujnicki as the sole doctoral advisor and the sole supervisor
• Experience and documented results in development of software for structural bioinformatics of RNA
• Documented experience in programming (C/C++, Python, and Java) – the application must include samples of the code in all these languages or links to repositories from which the software can be obtained
• Good command of English (written and oral communication) and presentation skills
• Priority will be given to candidates with results that can be included in the Ph.D. thesis and with expertise most relevant to the project
How to apply:
• Email your application to
• In the subject of the message include "MAESTRO-PhD-student-RNAmodeling" and your first and last name
• application must be submitted in English and should contain: 1) a CV, 2) a cover letter including a short description of key achievements and explicit responses to the list of requirements.
• Please include the following statement in CV: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” data will the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link
• We will contact only selected best candidates, who may be given additional questions and tasks as a part of the recruitment process
• The competition may be extended or repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found
The Ph.D. students will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://bit.ly/35tXdaq.
red - jobs focused on software development (with some molecular modeling)
orange - jobs focused on modeling and data analyses (with some software development)
green - jobs focused on experimental biochemistry and biophysics
Frequently asked questions: